|> home > heritage > documents > meadow of the monks|
Cluaine Maine "Cluain Manach"
"The Meadow of the Monks."
The monastery dates from the Columban times. The site is the three cornered piece of ground between the road and the Dresden laneway. The Monastery lands extended from the school heights to the sea. There were two white pillored stones marking the entrance to the Monastery lands, - one is in the school playground yet; the other was on the opposite side of the road, where W. Acheson's house stands.
The family of the Morrison's had close connections with the Monastery. In Morrisons field, there is a small height called "Teampall Deas", and at every funeral, the corpse had to be carried around "Teampall Deas" three times before going to the graveyard. At one time there were 350 monks in the Monastery. From 1400 there were five abbots of the Monastery by the name of Morrison. They had charge of the "Miosach", a shrine in silver and copper, which is now in St. Columba's Protestant College, Rathfarnham. (Note. the shrine is presently in the National museum in Dublin (year 2000).
Drum na Scobb height was the place where the monks dried the scolbs for thatching the Monastery buildings. The Monastery well was in the corner next the present old church ruins. The Monastery was destroyed in 1610 and the site was taken over for a Protestant Church. In the old graveyard there is a rock, and tradition says the two round holes in it were worn by the knees of St. Colmcille. There was a cure in the water lodged in these holes - a cure for warts, sores and ailments of all kinds.
An outline History of Clonmany by: Patrick Kavanagh
Issued by: Clonmany Festival Committee