Ballyliffin Golf Club
Golden Jubilee Commerative Booklet 1947 - 1997
The Launch of the Ladies' Branch of the Ballyliffin Golf Club took place in Tully's Hotel, Carndonagh, in the winter of 1965. Present at the meeting were:
Also present were Mr. Dan Gilmore, who was Captain in 1965 and Mr. Sean O'Leary. Five of the ladies mentioned are still active members of the Club.
Miss Kathleen McLaughlin was the first Lady Captain, a position which she held for a period of two years. In 1979 she was appointed the first Lady President and at the A.G:M. in 1983 it was proposed that in recognition of her serices to the Club, Kathleen be made a Life Vice-President. It is very fitting, that, in 1997, the members still regard her as a willing adviser.
Competitions were weekly, the prizes were small but enjoyment was paramount. A great bond existed between the Ladies and Mens Branch then, and still continues.
The famous mixed foursomes held weekly was the highlight of the week. It was an excellent way of introducing new members and encouraging them to become active in the Club.
The Rules of Golf were imparted in a light-hearted, friendly manner; the entry fee for Ladies being paid by the 'Partners' - the Ladies in return - providing sandwiches and cakes.
1992 saw the option of Full Membership to ladies, August 1995 saw the opening of the New Glashedy links and hopefully we'll have a new clubhouse in the not too distant future.
We, with our male counterparts, share in the pride, joy and achievement, that is present day Ballyliffin Golf Club.
- Ladies Committee