Mamore Gap or the ‘great / principal outlet’ was once the sole gateway between Buncrana and Urris.
This steep meandering road is sheltered 700 feet on either side by the hill of Mamore on the east and
on the west the hill of Craogh Carragh. To the north east Raghtin More
stands 1657 feet in the distance.
These hills are only a small feature of glacier deposits and formations which are abundant in this area
and other local imprints of the Ice Age date back to 15000 BC.
On the crest of Mamore Gap a number of holy relics are to be found. A holy well devoted to St Eigne
and a small alter of statues are the centre point on the annual mass held here every August
15th in commemoration of the Pagan Times when locals had to practice their religion in secret
to be protected from persecution.
Descending from Mamore Gap offers panoramic views whether they be of the hills on one side or of
the Atlantic Ocean on the other. Either way the sightseer will have to travel a considerable distance
to see such magnificent views as these.